We are a fellowship that has existed in Leeds since the early 1900s and is today a thriving church full of people of all ages, nationalities and backgrounds. One thing we have in common is that we have given our lives to the Lord Jesus Christ. In doing so we have found forgiveness from sin, peace of mind and assurance for the future. We are a lively church, and hope that you enjoy our informal worship and welcoming atmosphere.
Reaching out with God’s love and message.
God’s love is unconditional and is to be shown by means of practical support to everyone regardless of background, gender, ethnicity or faith. ( Matthew 22 verse 37). God’s message is encapsulated in the Easter Story, and for those who want to, we would love to help them explore this message.
Helping people to grow to their God given potential.
Our aim is to support people physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.
His name in High Honour.
It is our desire to live in such a way that the name of the Lord Jesus is held in high honour. This impacts every aspect of our lives. With God’s love and grace we will encourage , support and challenge to each other to this end.
To grow as a Biblically functioning community. A people through whom the name of the Lord Jesus is held in high honour in the city of Leeds and beyond. WE ARE AFFILIATED TO THE ELIM PENTECOSTAL MOVEMENT.
It was in 1910 that Thomas Henry Jewitt became the pastor of Mount Tabor Mission. At that time the church was in Mount Tabor Place in the Burmantofts area of the city. The church grew steadily and in 1921 moved to Bickerdyke Street off York Road, where it became known as Mount Tabor Pentecostal Church. In 1927, Pastor Jewitt invited the evangelist George Jeffries to conduct a two week mission. This was to be a defining time in the life of the church. The Salem Central Hall was booked for two weeks where meetings were held every afternoon and evening; the crowds coming to the meetings were so big that many had to be turned away! More than 2000 people responded to the gospel during this fortnight. The church became so large that they could no longer meet in Bickerdyke Street. For the next four years from 1927 to 1931 they rented different buildings in the city including the Albert Hall in Cookridge Street, (now the Carriageworks Theatre. On Saturday the 30th May 1931 the new church in Bridge Street was officially opened and came to be known as Bridge Street Pentecostal Church. In 1940 Pastor Jewitt passed away having served the church for 30 years. In more recent years, we have planted a daughter church in Boston Spa and later in Chandigarh in Northern India. As the church continued to grow so the need for a new space became very clear. After a long period of prayer and waiting God graciously provided our current site in Rider Street; back in Burmantofts where our roots lay.
We are amazed by His faithfulness and give Him the glory for all he has done.