We are a church that has gathered for over 100 years, we thank God for being our foundation for over a century.
In 1910, Thomas Henry Jewitt became the pastor of Mount Tabor Mission. At that time, the Church was in Mount Tabor Place in the Burmantofts area of the city.
The church grew steadily, and in 1921 moved to Bickerdyke Street off York Road, where it became known as Mount Tabor Pentecostal Church. In 1927, Pastor Jewitt invited the evangelist George Jeffries to conduct a two-week mission.
This was to be a defining time in the life of the church. The Salem Central Hall was booked for two weeks, where meetings were held every afternoon and evening; the crowds coming to the meetings were so big that many had to be turned away! More than 2000 people responded to the gospel during this fortnight. The church became so large that they could no longer meet in Bickerdyke Street. For the next four years, from 1927 to 1931, they rented different buildings in the city, including the Albert Hall in Cookridge Street (now the Carriageworks Theatre).
On Saturday the 30th May 1931, the new church in Bridge Street was officially opened, and came to be known as Bridge Street Pentecostal Church.
In more recent years, we have planted a daughter church in Boston Spa, and later in Chandigarh in Northern India. As the church continued to grow, the need for a new space became very clear.
After a long period of prayer and waiting, in 2015, God graciously provided our current site, the old Agnes Stewart High School, in Rider Street; back in Burmantofts where our roots lay.
We are amazed by His faithfulness and give Him the glory for all He has done. Come and be part of the next unwritten chapter, we would love to have you with us on the journey!
Bridge Community Church is the operational name for Bridge Street Pentecostal Church
© Bridge Street Pentecostal Church | Website by WebWorks Design | Registered Company no. 05855166
A company limited by guarantee with no share capital. Affiliated to Elim Pentecostal Church.